In this lesson, we will learn the archipelagos of French Polynesia in Tahitian.
When we talk about Tahiti with a foreigner, my perception is that he understands Tahiti as another country like France or Italy.
Let’s put things straight: Tahiti is part of the islands of French Polynesia which has 118 islands.
In this first part, let’s describe French Polynesia.
French Polynesia :
- has 118 islands
- extends over an area as vast as Europe
- Sayint island, it also means an ocean which surrounds it. Thus, despite the extent of Polynesia, the 118 islands are dotted in the Pacific Ocean.
- includes 5 archipelagos
- among which the 118 islands are distributed
The archipelagos of French Polynesia in Tahitian
You get there ! Finally !
The objective of this lesson is to learn the 5 archipelagos of French Polynesia in Tahitian.
In this second part, here is the vocabulary of our lesson:
|Te fenua Enata, henua ‘enana||The Marquesas archipelago|
|Te mau motu Tuamotu||The Tuamotu archipelago|
|Mangareva ma||The Gambier archipelago|
|Totaiete ma||The Society Archipelago|
|Tuha’a pae||The Austral archipelago|
The archipelagos of the Society are divided into 2 categories. Here they are :
|Te motu ni’a mata’i||Windward Islands|
|Te motu raro mata’i||Leeward Islands|
Tahiti is one of the Windward Islands.
Among this vocabulary, we already know:
Another basic vocabulary is:
|Te motu||The island|
The main islands by archipelago
In this third part: below is the list of the main islands by archipelago.
- The Society Archipelago:
- Windward Islands: Tahiti, Moorea, Tetiaroa
- Leeward Islands: Huahine, Raiatea, Taha’a, Bora Bora, Maupiti
- The Tuamotu archipelago: Rangiroa, Tikehau, Manihi, Fakarava …
- The Gambier archipelago: Mangareva
- Also he Marquesas archipelago: Hiva Oa, Tahuata, Nuku Hiva, Ua Huka, Ua Pou, Fatu Hiva
- And the Austral archipelago: Tubuai
And after ?
With this lesson, we have just learned to say the archipelagos in Tahitian, the archipelagos of French Polynesia in Tahitian. And also, we learned 8 vocabulary words and expressions.